Sunday, March 28, 2010

So What Did We Do In KL?

Hubby & I had a little getaway to KL this week. Just a short 3 days 2 nights trip there.

So what did we do there?

Besides attending the seminar, we 'cari makan' in KL. So this post will be mostly about FOOD in KL!

We stayed in Swiss-Garden Hotel which is walking distance to Bukit Bintang. So we were in that vicinity the whole of our trip.

We had tea break at the Food Republic @ Pavilion.
Tasted the horrible RM3 ice-kacang from Desert House that Peter complained non-stop.
But I like my RM5.90 set of Boluo Yau with 2 half-boiled eggs and hot tea from Toast Box.

Ice-Kacang & Boluo Yao Set

Also tried the Fried Oyster aka Oh Chien which is supposedly nice. The KL Oh Chien is the 'dry style' where the eggs are fried dry and wet with sauce like Penang's.

The portion here is reasonable for RM8. Oysters were huge in size but just a few pieces.
I find it OK but hubby didn't quite like it. Maybe because he was full with the Teppan Yaki we had earlier.

Fried Oyster

The Teppan Yaki set we had was RM15. Came with a bowl of soup, drinks and rice. Took the Beef Slice Set. Comes with beansprouts and green vege as well as side dishes.
The Chefs cook for you on the spot and serves it on the hot plate in front of you.


Teppan-Yaki

Had another meal at Pavilion. This time is Madam Kwan's.
I've always wanted to try the food there but the place is always packed.
Tried the Nasi Bojari which is their recommendation.
It's Madam's tri-coloured rice with assam prawns, beef rendang and deep fried chicken drumstick.

Portion was huge. But then taste-wise, nothing special. But it is an expensive plate of rice - RM20+.
Hubby tried the Sweet and Sour Fish with a side order of white rice. Nothing special as well except for the price. Pricey at RM20+ and RM1.90 for the rice.

Nasi Bojari & Sweet and Sour Fish with White Rice
However, we both like the service there. Although the place was fully packed, the service there was excellent. Waiters/waitressed were attentive and orders were taken fast. Food was served promptly as well. Iced water were being refilled without being asked.
And when I asked for sambal, they served it on a small plate with some limes. I like it.


Sambal

After our meal, they also brought a bowl of water with lemon slices for us to wash our hands. I guess all these are the reasons why we pay RM20+ for a bowl of nasi lemak-look-alike! ;)
Before we left the place, Peter spotted Madam Kwan herself and we took a picture with her.


With Madam Kwan's


Next, we also tried the Lot 10 Hutong food court @ Lot 10.
Someone recommended us to eat there as the place is quite new and heard that most of the famous hawkers were there.

Lot 10 Hutong

Saw many people eating the 'tai lok mee'. Could not locate the stall. In the end found out that the dish is called Hokkien-style Mee at the Kim Lian Kee stall. This dish is also recommended by my friend Kah Mun.

Kim Lian Kee Stall and it's 'Tai Lok Mee'

Also tried the Mango Pomelo desert at another stall.

The ice-shaving is not the normal ice. You can really taste the fruity taste in the ice-shaving. I like it. Costs RM8.90 but is good to share. Too big portion and 'jelak' to eat alone.
Mango Pomelo desert


Now, to our luxurious meal. We went to Prego @ The Westin Hotel in KL for lunch.
Yes, to the 5-star hotel for lunch. I was quite sceptical when Kah Mun suggested the place for Italian food because I was afraid we would come out a pauper. But then Kah Mun told us she has the Privilege Card which entitles her to 50% discount. Then I was like 'OK. Let's meet there' :)

So off we went to Prego @ The Westin Hotel, KL.

They served us free appetizer of a big, warm bread with some salsa-like dip. I like the bread. The crust is cristy and the bread inside is warm and soft. I had 2 big slices of it.

Appetizer

We ordered a Carbonara, a spicy-something-pasta and a pizza with the longest list of ingredients in the menu ;)

Pasta


Pizza
I like the huge prawn - succulent and tasty. The pasta tasted normal though.
But I like the carbonara pasta. Really tasty and good.

As for the pizza, I didn't quite like the mushroom-y taste although usually I love all kinds of mushrooms. And I find too many olives on the pizza. I hate olives.
But then the Tiramisu was to die-for. Really big serving of tiramisu in a glass. It was only RM10.50 after discount. Real value-for-money.


Tiramisu

We couldn't finish the pizza. Had them packed it up for Kah Mun's hubby and we were asked to sign a paper which states something like this 'Pls don't blame us if you get stomach ache or food poisoning if you eat this take-away' :P
We were really very full after that.


Take-away Pizza

We wanted to dine at one of the restaurants in Starhill Gallery initially. The place was so beautiful. Every restaurant has its own decorations and it is really special.
Look at the beautiful decorations.


Deco at Starhill Gallery Restaurants

We didn't dine there in the end because I could not put my heart to spend so much on just a meal. Saw a Chinese Restaurant there which has a menu that says 'RM599++ per person for the whole abalone'.

I was like 'per person?'. shit. We ran for our lives.

However, we had another luxury break. The Godiva Cafe @ Pavilion.

I couldn't resist chocolate. And when Kah Mun says the chocolates there are real good, I decided to try it out. Have something.

These delicious luxury chocolates are around RM10+ per piece. Hahaha.



The price explains why I didn't buy them.

All I had was a Godiva Hot Dark Chocolate drink.


Godiva Dark Chocolate


They serve the chocolate drink in a teapot with a candle stand so that it will remain warm all the time. Ahhh....

I like it. Wanted to order the chocolate ice-blended initially but then I was cold. So ordered the hot one instead.

That was basically what we did in KL. Eat. Eat. Eat.


2 of us


So did we buy anything back?

Hubby bought a book for himself.

I bought 4 tops and 1 pants for Shern, all at 50% off. And 2 books for Shern. Oh, and also a set of cutlery for Shern at 40% off.

Nothing for myself. :)

1 comment:

Shu-Min said...

yes u did! u bought chocolates for urself.. and also for me! hehe

LinkWithin