Friday, August 19, 2011

USA: 17-Mile Drive, California - 7 May 2011

I should blog about Las Vegas and Grand Canyon because that was where we went after Omaha. But then as I looked back on the photos, I couldn't help but skip to San Francisco photos because they are just so very beautiful.

SFO is officially my favourite city thus far. It is a small city which gives me a cozy feeling, unlike other cities in US which are too big for me.

Ok, let's start with the 17-Mile Drive, which is a scenic road through Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach on our way to San Francisco. I tell you, the place is just awesome. The 17-Mile Drive is 9.6 miles (15.4km long) from the dramatic Pacific Coastline to the majestic Del Monte Forest.
The 17-mile Drive is a toll-road and when we were there in May 2011, it was $9.50. Quite an expensive drive I think, but I still think it was so worth it.

There are 21 stops along the whole scenic drive, but we stopped only for a few. If I remember correctly, we stopped at The Restless Sea, Bird Rock, The Lone Cypress, and The Lodge at Pebble Beach.

Ok, let the beautiful photos do the talking.
Let me first tell you that these photos are unedited, taken raw from my humble point-and-shoot camera.

Ain't the beach beautiful?
The day was so clear and the sky was so blue.


This is the Bird Rock stop. This is one of the most beautiful scenic stop, especially if you like birds, seals and sea lions.


The place was actually very, very windy and cold.




Couple shots here is a must. Very romantic.




If you see closely, you will notice the big rock behind us was actually full of birds, seals and sea lions.


Zooming my camera in...resulting in a blurry photo. But now you can see those birds clearer.


Hubby looking into the telescope...


And this is what we saw.....cool huh?


The next stop was The Lone Cyprus, which is one of California's most enduring landmarks. The Lone Cypress, which is a salt pruned tree, has prevailed on its rocky perch for over 250 years and this icon is the official symbol of Pebble Beach.




Amazing blue skies. Unedited. I'm still amazed. Wow.






The last stop we went to was The Lodge at Pebble Beach.
Built in 1919, The Lodge is the heart and soul of Pebble Beach and home to the world-famous Pebble Beach Golf Links.

Lining the way to The Lodge are souvenir shops.


The Lodge




The entrance to The Lodge.


Upon entering, you go through the building and then unto the terrace which will lead you to this spectacular view of the golf course. The vast greens is so amazing, or maybe because I haven't been to any gold course before. Haha.


We both took a photo near the famous 18th hole.


View of the place.


This is hubby with The Lodge behind him. We wanted to sit on the terrace while sipping tea with the amazing view, but too bad the table were full.


So we ended up sitting inside near a real fireplace.


And we ordered this ridiculously high-priced Chocolate Fondue. But it was amazing. First time I tasted raspberries. And first time I had toasted marshmallows. Haha.
And the chocolate dip has this 'Pebble Beach Resorts' plasticky design on top which was edible. Really incredible.


After that delicious Chocolate Fondue, we headed to our hotel in Pleasanton. Pleasanton is a suburb in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We stayed in Sheraton Pleasanton there and it would take us about 45 minutes to get to San Francisco. Yes, it is way cheaper to stay there than in SFO.


Sheraton Pleasanton


Our room

Next would be San Francisco, which will be my next USA post. ;)

Info Source: wikipedia.com / pebblebeach.com
Hotel photo source: http://www.hotels.com

p/s - Click here for more of my USA trip.

No comments:

LinkWithin